I finally got around to fixing a couple of minor annoyances I have with Blogofile. These fixes apply to the plugins development branch of Blogofile and the Blogofile_blog plugin, but they should be easily backport-able to the Blogofile master branch. I opened pull requests for these changes on Github and I'm happy to report that @EnigmaCurry merged the Blogofile_blog ones within hours! But since Blogofile development and this blog have been languishing for a while, I figured I should write about the changes here.
Using Python 2.7 and 3.2 with the PYTHONWARNINGS environment variable set to default reveals that both Blogofile and the Blogofile_blog plugin raise ResourceWarning exceptions when the blogofile build command is run. Admittedly, this is a really minor issue, but seeing a screen full of tracebacks every time I build my site is annoying, and it can obscure more serious problems. Those warnings are easily silenced by changing the offending open statements to use with statement context managers. The fix for Blogofile is in pull request 119 and the one for Blogofile_blog is in pull request 7.
The blogofile blog create post command creates a file with the extension .markdown by default but Blogofile also supports RST and Textile markup. I use RST and really want my newly created post files to have the extension .rst so that emacs goes to rst-mode automatically when I open a post file for editing. Again, a minor annoyance, and my fix was easily implemented. I chose to add a blog.post.default_markup config option. With blog.post.default_markup = 'rst' in my site's _config.py file my new posts get the .rst extension I want. If blog.post.default_markup is not set the created post file extension defaults to .markdown as before. This feature is in pull request 8.
I really like Blogofile and using it's plugins branch was my spur to get serious about using Python 3 and blogging again. So, I'm really happy to see @EnigmaCurry accepting pull requests again on the project. Hooray!!